Saturday, August 16, 2014

Gearing up for Cycle 3 (Classical Conversations)!

I can't believe how fast this summer has gone by!  Now that our first day back to homeschooling is right around the corner (Monday) I wanted to sit down and sort out my thoughts and plans.  I plan on doing what I did last year for Cycle 2...collect as many resources as I can to support the memory work for that week and post it.  I'm really excited about the things we're going to be studying this year.  So let's just dive on in...

Cycle 3, week 1  History: Christopher Columbus

*Another Christopher Columbus video
* A sailing ship you can print, cut out, and even try to make it sail.  You could do 3 of them to represent Columbus' three ships.
coloring sheet of Columbus on "American History for Kids" site (may come in handy in the future!)
*I bought the complete set of Liberty Kids dvds for only $5 on Amazon!  A lot of these videos will fit right in with what we're studying.

Geography: states and capitals
*Love this video and plan to use it while studying states/capitals!

*The Animaniacs version of a states/capitals song
*Click here to go to a great post on the blog Suzanne Shares for cycle 3 geography resources.  They look great...and all free!  There are president cards, state flash cards, and state coloring sheets.  I'm going to print the flash cards for the states we're studying for this week. I've found that if you just type in the name of the state on the crayola website it'll give the flashcard and the coloring sheet options.

Science:
Cycle 3 science songs for weeks 1-12

*Another science video

Latin:
Prepositions~

English: Infinitive



Studying the Presidents:
I thought this post by Katherine Marie had some cute ideas on studying the presidents
* The Animaniacs presidents song.  Entertaining...but it does include little facts about different presidents...like one kicking another's butt and Grant drinking whiskey...so you may or may not want your kids watching! : )
*Neat paint stick timeline idea for some of the presidents
*There are several different presidents songs on YouTube! : )

These are just a few ideas that are out there for getting started with week 1!  I may add more as the week goes on, and would welcome any ideas you've come across in planning/doing Cycle 3.  Blessings on your new school year!

2 comments:

Keisha said...

Stacey! You Rock!!!!!

The Great Adventure said...

Thank you, girl! Whew...I didn't think I was going to pull off this post because my computer was moving SO SLOW! Glad it got its act together ; ). Hope you have a great week of homeschooling and that this will help you out a little. Very excited to see the journey God has you and your family on!!